MATCH is a semester-long program, directed by AIM and sponsored by MAA Tensor SUMMA, that pairs mathematicians interested in K-12 outreach with socioeconomically disadvantaged middle school classrooms. The program aims to improve historically underrepresented students’ attitudes and confidence about mathematics by providing engaging mathematical experiences and meaningful opportunities to interact with practicing mathematicians, or MATCH Fellows.
We are seeking middle school teachers and mathematicians to participate in the program. Please check out the application details below, and contact Program Director Javier Haro with any questions!
Open to faculty, postdocs, graduate students, and all mathematicians interested in K-12 outreach
We are currently accepting applications for our second cohort of MATCH Fellows. Your participation would involve:
- A summer training workshop that will bring together our group of Fellows with diverse mathematical and teaching experience to prepare them for working with middle students in a virtual setting.
- The orientation will be held on July 20th from 10am-1pm (PDT).
- Three virtual classroom visits with one class during Fall 2022 to lead and facilitate activities.
- A short survey after each visit and a 30-minute post-program interview talking about your experiences with the program.
All MATCH Fellows will receive a $500 stipend after their completion of the program as pioneers in this effort.
Priority deadline for applications is June 30th, 2022. We especially encourage women and underrepresented minorities to apply. Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
For Middle School Teachers
Open to all 6th, 7th, and 8th grade classrooms at Title 1 funded schools.
We are looking for classrooms to participate in the MATCH program, where our mathematicians, or MATCH Fellows, would present well-tested activities in three virtual classroom visits. These virtual visits will be conducted during the fall semester of the 2022-2023 school year.
Your participation would involve:
- Scheduling three dates and times with a MATCH Fellow to present an online lesson in one of your classes.
- Having your students complete exit tickets after each visit, as well as a brief pre- and post-program survey.
- Taking a brief teacher survey after each of the class visits.
Please note that the activities presented are intended as enrichment and are not necessarily tied to a specific school curriculum.
If you are interested in participating, please apply by filling out the online form below. The priority deadline for applications will be announced soon! Please feel free to contact email@example.com with any questions.