MATCH is a year-long program, directed by AIM and sponsored by MAA Tensor SUMMA, that pairs mathematicians interested in K-12 outreach with socioeconomically disadvantaged middle school classrooms. The program aims to improve historically underrepresented students’ attitudes and confidence about mathematics by providing engaging mathematical experiences and meaningful opportunities to interact with practicing mathematicians, or MATCH Fellows.
We are currently seeking middle school teachers and mathematicians to participate in the program. Please check out the application details below, and contact Program Director Javier Haro with any questions!
For Middle School Teachers
Open to all 6th, 7th, and 8th grade classrooms at Title 1 funded schools.
We are looking for classrooms to participate in the MATCH program, where our mathematicians, or MATCH Fellows, would present well-tested activities in three virtual classroom visits. These virtual visits will be conducted during the fall semester of the 2021-2022 school year.
Your participation would involve:
- Scheduling three dates and times with a MATCH Fellow to present an online lesson in one of your classes.
- Having your students complete exit tickets after each visit, as well as a brief pre- and post-program survey.
- Taking a brief teacher survey after each of the class visits.
Please note that the activities presented are intended as enrichment and are not necessarily tied to a specific school curriculum.
If you are interested in participating, please apply by filling out the online form below. The priority deadline for applications is June 30th, 2021. Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Open to faculty, postdocs, graduate students, and all mathematicians interested in K-12 outreach
We are currently accepting applications for our inaugural class of MATCH Fellows. Your participation would involve:
- A summer training workshop that will bring together our group of Fellows with diverse mathematical and teaching experience to prepare them for working with middle students in a virtual setting.
- The orientation will be held on July 13th from 10am-1pm (PDT).
- Fellows will also sign up for a one-hour practicum during the week of July 19th.
- Three virtual classroom visits with one class during the 2021-2022 school year to lead and facilitate activities.
- A short post-survey after each visit and a 30-minute post-program interview talking about your experiences participating in the program.
All MATCH Fellows will receive a $500 stipend after their completion of the program as pioneers in this effort.
Please apply by filling out the on-line form below by the priority deadline of June 30th, 2021. We especially encourage women and underrepresented minorities to apply. Please feel free to contact email@example.com with any questions.